Turkish, Hungarian desserts and other delicacies you can't resist

Friday 24 August 2012

Gastro experiences at the weekend - last stop: Promenade of Hungarian Flavours


The gastro weekend arrived at its last stop on 20th August. This day we celebrate the anniversary of the foundation of the Hungarian State. There are a lot of traditional programme year by year such raising of the national flag and ceremonial officer inauguration, aerial and water parade on the Danube, ceremonial holy mass and procession of the Holy Right Hand (of our King Stephen, Founder of the State) and of course at the end of the day firework.

The Promenade of Hungarian Flavours is organized on the Danube bank every year where you can find traditional Hungarian products which are famous on account of their special ingredients, preparation.

Walking around the promenade we could see bakeries with fine breads, cheese specialities, special organic products, jams, marmalades, fruits and vegetables of primary producers, suprisingly numerous fröccs stands.

What is fröccs? Fröccs a.k.a Spitzer is a very popular alcoholic drinks in Hungary. It's wine (mostly white one) mixed with soda water. We know million different kind of fröccs, depend on the rate of wine-soda.

Turning back to the choice of the Promenade of Hungarian Flavours, I was focusing on the desserts of course.

Raj Ráchel's Flodni

This was the second year when Raj Rachel and her flodni showed up at the Promenade of Hungarian Flavours. Shame on me, I need to confess that even if I live for 2 minutes from Ráchel's confectionery, Café Noé at Wesselényi street, I have never turned into it. This statement was true until 20th August. When I saw that her stand, I didn't hesitate, I enrolled in the serpentine queue in front of it and I patiently waited for my turn comes in 35 degrees. It was worth!!! She can be rightly proud of her family recipe. I expected exactly such harmony of flavours. The plum jam, walnut, apple and poppy seed created a percfect combination of flavours. Sweet but not cloying. I just understood what Ráchel talked in one of her interview about. I can feel in the flodni that she makes it with love. Furthermore, it made her more likeable for me that she was at her stand all day and served her guests personally.


I stop talking now but I send word to who hasn't tasted this superdelicious Jewish cake yet, get to Ráchel's café immediately!


Noé Café
Address: 1072 Budapest, Wesselényi utca 13.
Open: every day 10:00-19:00, except of Friday, when 10:00-17:00

The bread of Hungary

This year the bread of St Stephen's Day was the special hops-potato bread of Gere Bakery. Its consistence was perfectly traditional Hungarian, in its flavour I felt the hops...a bit bitter with beer after-taste :) 


The cake of Hungary 2012

When I heard that this year the cake of Hungary is the apple poppy-seed cake from Szabolcs County, the creation of a confectioner, Zsolt Pintér, I was sure I will love it. Because of the poppy-seed. The Zsolt Pintér used poppy-seed, apple, a hint of cinnamon and vanilla cream for the cake. The poppy-seed with the relishable, sourish apple and soft vanilla cream was great combination.


The sugar-free cake of Hungary 2012

This year, for the first time, the sugar-free version was selected as well. The winner was an apple cake with gooseberry, made by László Zila. Unfortunately this cake was finished before I had a chance to take a photo about it.

I support the initiation of Foundation of One Drop Attention that they can show that is possible to prepare delicious cakes for the people with diabetes without processed flour or sugar and additives as well.

I like both of the cakes but I prefered the apple poppy-seed cake, on the one hand because of the poppy-seed, on the other hand because it was lighter and less sweet.

1 megjegyzés:

Velva Block said...

The character of each person in the general populace is especially basic. We can't express that the bit of an explicit individual isn't essential in the general populace. Thusly, it useful link fundamental to give fitting direction to each individual from the general populace.

Post a Comment

© 2011 Baklavaria, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena