Turkish, Hungarian desserts and other delicacies you can't resist

Saturday 2 June 2012

Indian Naan Bread

I love naan since our 4-weeks holiday in India in 2010.

During our trip we travelled a lot within the country. We just bought a return ticket to Delhi and back, had a Lonely Planet guide and that's all. Okay, we knew of course some place what we definitely wanted to visit but nothing more. We didn't decide how many days we spend here or there. Just enjoy the country, know and talk to the people and try to understand this culture what is totally different from what we have seen before.

Before we left for India, everyone worried about me and asked "What will you eat there?" I didn't know the Indian cuisine too much at that time but I said "I love Indian foods, so don't worry, I won't die by hunger!" Now I know since I REALLY knew Indian cuisine during this trip, it's one of the most colourful, varied and interesting kitchen in the world.

As I mentioned we travelled a lot (Delhi - Agra - Varanasi - Kathamndu,Nepal - Mumbai - Varkala beach in Kerala - Kochi - Delhi), everywhere 2-3 days (on the beach about 10 days :)), depending on how much we liked the place. Everywhere we stopped we tasted the local speciality therefore I can say we never ate two times the same dish.

Indian food is different from the rest of the world in the whole cuisine, in taste, cooking methods. It's a perfect mix of several cultures and ages. Food in India, just like the Indian culture, has been influenced  by various groups, civilizations during the centuries, leading to the diversity of flavours and regional cuisines what we know in modern India in our days.

One of the most important part of the Indian kitchen is the Indian bread. There is a wide variety of breads which reflects the diversity of the whole country, culture. Different varieties include: chapati, roti, paratha, naan, papdum etc.

Naan is cooked in tandoor from which tandoori cooking takes its name. I have already mentioned tandoor before in the post of Turkish Ramadan pide.

First I bring the recipe of naan what I prepare many times especially for a light dinner, house parties next to dips.

I don't know yet where I had found this recipe on internet but I remember that I tried it with my best friend, E. for New Year's Eve.

Ingredients (5 pieces):
25 dkg plain flour
110-130 ml milk
2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

+ 1 tablespoon melted butter for brushing
+ cheese (normally I make naan without it)


In a big bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Make a pit in the center of the dry ingredients in the bowl then pour in it the milk and oil mixture.

Mix together the dough first by wooden spoon then knead it by hand for 8-10 minutes to make a smooth, soft dough. If it's too thicky, add a little flour to it. Divide it into 5 small balls.

The original recipe said we should set aside, cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave for at least 1 hour in a warm place to double in size. I experienced there is no difference between we don't wait at all or we leave the dough for 1 hour so do not worry, as soon as you finished kneading the dough you can start to bake them.

For the lack of tandoor at home preheat a simple frying pan. Start to roll out the dough balls into oval, teardrop shapes (as you like) and place the naan in the hot frying pan and grill for 1-2 minutes or until there are brown spots on its surface then turn to grill the other side of naan. If you want at the step you can put some grated cheese on the top.

Brush them with melted butter and serve hot.
 










0 megjegyzés:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Baklavaria, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena